Teens Get a Taste of Riverdale

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teens Get a Taste of Riverdale

Sarah Hardin, Staff Writer

Producer, J.B. Moranville, created this open-ended drama  which draws the attention perfectly to the town of Riverdale. This interesting and addictive TV show involves a group of teens and is based on the classic Archie comics. The series has a much darker tone than the comics, with events revolving around the murder of a popular teen boy, an affair between a 15-year-old student and an adult teacher, and competitive friendships.

Riverdale has won many Teen Choice Awards such as Choice TV Actor Drama (Cole Sprouse), TV Series: Drama, Choice TV ‘Ship (Lili Reinhart and Cole Sprouse), TV Scene Stealer (Camila Mendes), TV Hissy Fit (Madelaine Petsch), Breakout Star (Lili Reinhart) and TV Breakout Show. Lili Reinhart and Cole Sprouse won the Teen Choice Awards male and female. Nominees being other chosen characters of Teen TV Shows.

Riverdale was written by Greg Berlanti and developed by Roberto AguirreSacasa. The town of Riverdale has been jumbled by the death of football hero Jason Blossom (Trevor Stines), and slowly his former friends and loved ones are becoming dynamically different.

Football player Archie Andrews (KJ Apa) has decided he wants to pursue a career in music instead of joining his dad’s construction business. The girl-next-door Betty Cooper (Lili Reinhart) is in a relationship with Archie.  The talented singer Josie McCoy (Ashleigh Murray) is ready to take her group, the ‘Pussycats,’ to the next level.

In addition, new-girl Veronica Lodge (Camila Mendes) complicates everyone’s lives, but she wants to try something different and be a new person. And then there’s Cheryl Blossom (Madelaine Petsch), cheerleader captain and malignant queen of Riverdale.

Meanwhile, Jughead (Cole Sprouse) sits back and watches the drama. But like just about everyone else in Riverdale, Jughead has secrets, too. But nothing stays secret for long in this town, and the friends’ dramatic adventures and relationships take many twists and turns as the series is progressing.

Most of the actors and actresses in Riverdale have acted in other shows or movies. For example, Trevor Stines acted in The Fosters as Tristan Chacones, Spen/cer as Paul Watson, The Impasse of Light as Gans, The Amityville Terror as Brett, and Blue Match Comedy as Backpacker #2. Trevor Stines Has 7 credits in Filmography.

Also, the girl-next-door, Betty Cooper (Lili Reinhart), is well known for acting in The Kings of Summer as Vicki, Miss Stevens as Margot, and The Good Neighbor as Ashley. Lili Reinhart has 15 credits in filmography.

Another example would be KJ Apa playing Archie Andrews in Riverdale, who is also well-known for acting in A Dog’s Purpose as teen Ethan, Shortland Street as Kane Jenkins, and the Cul De Sac as Jack. KJ Apa has 5 credits in Filmography.

All of the actors and actresses did an amazing job portraying an image of the town of Riverdale by adding their own perspective and opinions to the show. Riverdale’s plot is very organized and every episode leaves you off with a cliff encouraging you to watch the next episode. The music choice in Riverdale is very amusing, because the type of music is very ‘teen-like’, such as “I took a Pill in Ibiza”, which is a teen-popular song. For the special effects, Betty Cooper aka Lili Reinhart is a low-key makeup artist with a passion for special effects, gore, and cosplay makeup.

One thing that I would change about Riverdale would be that maybe the climax should be more centered, because there were many scenes when a big problem happened and then another problem arose and it got confusing for a little bit. But, other than that, it was an awesome show, and I can’t wait to watch Season Two.

In conclusion, I would rate Riverdale a 4.5 out of 5 because it turned out great, even though they could have added more details in between scenes. For the audience, I recommend people who are mature, around the ages of 10-12, because of the sexual aspects such as a student and teacher relationship and profanity.