The Voice of Cactus Shadows High School

The CS Press

Lights, Action!

Maggie Morant, Staff Writer

Drama Club students are gearing up to put on their entirely student-run One Acts as opening night nears. The One-Act plays are chosen, staged, directed, and performed by students. These plays give seniors in Drama the chance to showcase their accumulated skills in a final farewell to high school theater.

About a month ago, senior students involved in the club began to hold auditions to select their actors for their final project.

“We’ve had senior one acts being directed [here] for about 25 years,” said Andrew Cupo, the faculty administrator of the Drama Club.

Though he is normally a hands-on teacher, Cupo shifts into the passenger seat to ensure that the productions are entirely student run. By doing this, he allows his seniors to take on the full creative freedom and responsibility that comes with directing a play. But, he is always there to offer advice and provide insight to those who need it.

“I always tell my directors and actors to make sure that they take these productions seriously, and that they don’t slack off,” said Cupo.

One of the senior who  will be debuting her directorial skills will be Bella Affronti. Affronti has been involved in the Drama Club for three years, and starred in this year’s production of Little Women. She will be co-directing a play about a girl whose friends take her through time to mend her recent heartbreak with fellow senior Riann Johnston.

“A challenge I’m afraid of is running out of ideas, but I’ glad that I’m co-directing with [Johnston], so the ideas will never end,” said Affronti.

Johnston has been involved with the theater program for 4 years, and has worked on many projects ranging from one acts to the yearly play or musical. She is excited for her and Affronti’s one act because of the cast and crew that are working on it. Because the group consists of seasoned performers, there is a certain level of professionalism in the production.

“There is a mutual understanding between the cast and crew that we have only have a certain amount of time to create this production, so we all do our part to make sure we get what need to do done,” said Johnston.

Affronti believes the most exciting part of directing the one act will be seeing the finished product. She feels grateful that she is able to work with great people in her production, and is looking forward to show off her team’s hard work on opening night.

“Theater is important to me because it brought me out of my shell, and I made lifelong friends being in Drama Club,” said Affronti.

Johnston also feels that being involved in theater has been beneficial for her high school experience.

“I have loved theater and I definitely encourage people to do theater because it builds confidence, personality, and it gives you a huge opportunity to kind of discover yourself,” said Johnston.

The senior one acts will be performed on April 27 and 28, with tickets costing $5. Much like the student dance show, there will a series of matinee performances during one school day, where teachers can bring their classes to watch.