The CS Press

• Uprooted, the 2018 literary magazine, will be available on Tuesday at Janey's from 4 to 7 p.m.

• The 2018 Yearbook is here. Pick yours up today.

• Graduation is this Thursday at Grand Canyon University.

Kevin Durant for MVP?

Lucas Dufresne, Sports Editor

The Most Valuable Player (MVP) award is awarded to supposedly the best, the most inspiring, and the most clutch professional basketball player of the season. One of the most valuable players in the National Basketball Association is Russell Westbrook with averaging a triple-double for the second consecutive season.

It is important to remember his MVP year was about more than the big numbers he put up. That’s because Westbrook is neck and neck with Point Guard James Harden, playing for the Houston Rockets, battling for the MVP award, awarded at the end of the season.

However, big numbers haven’t held up big awards for Harden before. Last season, despite scoring 29 points per game on average, while averaging career numbers in rebounds sitting at 8.1, and assists staying, Harden lost the award to Oklahoma City Star Russell Westbrook, who became just the second player in NBA history to average a triple-double for an entire season.

What I really want for the players is actually Kevin Durant to win MVP for the 2nd time since 2014. After his speech about  winning MVP in 2014, we all expected that it could very well be the first of several such speeches for a four-time scoring champion and Olympic gold medal-winning wunderkind, a player thought by many destined to be the heir apparent to LeBron James as the face of the league.

Sure, Durant is still widely considered the best player in basketball not named James. And he’s finally won the championship that eluded him in Oklahoma City, claiming his first last summer with the Golden State Warriors, capping the occasion with a Finals MVP as he out dueled James in an epic showdown in The Finals.

It’s not that he hasn’t played at a MVP level — he has. But his narrative has changed dramatically, with his move from the Thunder to the Warriors in free agency before last season costing him dearly. (A Kia MVP joining forces with a back-to-back Kia MVP in Stephen Curry would certainly cost both of them on many ballots. It surely did when Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant, each one-time MVP winners, shared the court during their overlapping primes with the Los Angeles Lakers.)