The CS Press

Flag: Opinion

Faith Hasher, Opinion Editor

Colin Kaepernick, NFL quarterback for the 49ers, refused to stand for the national anthem on television to protest racial injustice and police brutality. This act is completely unpatriotic, and infuriates many of the fans who might otherwise be willing to hear his message.

America is a country where each and every day millions of people, of all races, and backgrounds get up each day to fight and protect our sacred freedoms. To protest a symbol of America, is completely deplorable and unpatriotic.

Like it or not, the flag is a symbol of patriotism, especially for members of the military. Every day, we have Americans fighting for their lives to protect the freedoms that the flag represents, and to see people  disrespect the symbol of what built this great nation is upsetting.

If Kaepernick wants to make a statement, protesting the American flag is not the way to go. By protesting the American symbol, he has made many Americans angry which has in turn made people who may have listened to him turn a blind eye.

When it comes to the flag and the national anthem — and the meaning that holds for our men and women in uniform and those who’ve fought for us — it is a tough thing for them to get past to then hear what Kaepernick’s deeper concerns are.

On the other hand, Kaepernick  has the right to protest what he believes to be unjust treatment of black men in America. But if he wants more people to listen, he should think about changing how he gets his message across.

Although America is not perfect, this  should not give people the right to disregard the flag. Because of Kaepernick’s position as a celebrity, he could be much more persuasive in getting his message across by starting a non-profit to combat racism, or by recording public service announcements in which he explains his reasons for believing racism is a problem in America. Certainly, he could find a way to get his message across without offending the almost two million people in the military.

If you are going to stand on top of the flag, you better be willing to come home underneath it.