The Voice of Cactus Shadows High School

The CS Press

Three seasons offer… triple the sport, triple the fun

Grace Haycraft-Mckee, Staff Writer

Competing in one or two sports a year is common. But participating in three sports is pretty unusual. There a just a handful of students who are considered triathletes.

Jordan Dauch, a junior, plays football, soccer, and track. In addition, he also has off season football training in the summer.

“It’s mostly just re learning. Football and Track are mostly sprinting and short burst energy and soccer is more perseverance,” said Dauch.

Michael Hudnutt, head football coach, has been coaching Dauch for his high school football career.

“Kids that do more than one sport are better all around athletes and working on other skills will help them be a better football player for the Falcons,” said Hudnutt.

Another triathlete is Logan Hasher, a freshman. Coming into high school, Hasher had already been playing three sports, unlike Dauch who picked up Soccer his sophomore year to keep him in shape in between football and track. For Hasher, each sport offers him something different than the other.

“It’s just a different group of people, different atmosphere. Every sport has its own uniqueness,” said Hasher.

For athletes, training is a key factor in how successful they are. Going from sport to sport can be a little bit of a challenge for some because the sports seasons do overlap by a little more than a week.

“My coach knows that I am staying in shape because I have zero hour lifting before school and I have track practice after school so I’m still lifting and staying in shape with stamina for football,” said Dauch.

Taking on three sports also comes with difficulties. Managing school work and sports for every season can have a positive and negative affect. Sports can encourage students to strive for success because they have to keep certain grades to play. The negative of playing three sports is they can get tired easily after a match and it will be hard to finish school work if they have not already.

“The only sport that takes up a lot of time is football but I still have enough time to get my homework done before and after practice,” said Dauch.