The Voice of Cactus Shadows High School

The CS Press

Cruisin’ Through the Desert

Lauren Haggar, News Editor

From star running back to businessman, Antonio Marchica is a jack of all trades. Marchica, a Cactus Shadows alum, who now attends Arizona State University, recently founded Desert Cruiser boards.

Desert Cruiser Boards specializes in custom long boards, and cruisers. The company is run by Marchica who works in conjunction with two of his fraternity brothers, Trevor and Jando.

“Having my own business is something I’ve always wanted to have and now that it’s actually becoming a reality doesn’t even seem real. It’s great, I can work my own hours, don’t have to take orders from anyone, and can do something I actually love doing,” said Marchica.

Marchica makes handcrafted long boards, cruisers, and mini cruisers all varying in prices.

“Handmade boards aren’t very common, and I happened to notice that one of my friends was riding one. I asked him how much he paid for it and it was something ridiculous like $250 so I figured I’d join the industry, making my boards affordable and better quality,” said Marchica.

Likewise, Marchica first gained exposure to the art of woodworking at a young age.

“I started making boards with my step dad when I was younger. I learned how to work with power tools, wood, spray paint, all that stuff from him,” said Marchica.

The boards themselves are made by using high quality ply wood from local wood stores around the valley. After purchasing the supplies, next comes the hand carving of each board, which is one of the more difficult parts of the process due to the need of high precision and accuracy. The majority of the supplies are purchased wholesale, and Desert Cruiser Boards is in the process of picking one main company to order from.

“I think it’s really cool how he’s making longboards from scratch and coming up with the designs,” said Michael Marchica, brother of Antonio Marchica.

After each board is cut, holes are drilled for the wheels and other parts to be added. The last and final step is to design and sand each board.

Each board has a unique design that is inspired by anything from places I visited to, to random objects or patterns. Colors also play a big part in designing the boards. We choose them based on the stain of the board,” said Marchica.

In the future, Marchica has contemplated going on shows like Shark Tank to gain exposure for his business, but presently he is focusing on gaining traction locally.

“I would recommend for him to try to get a connection with store and really getting people using his products. Sending his products out to other people might be helpful too, or even if people could endorse it… He needs to create a network of people that can really help him,” said Louise Rochford, a marketing teacher.

In efforts to get his brand’s name known, Marchica has created an instagram, where he features the boards he has made.

“Things that really set products apart from each other is what is current, you have to know the trends. You also have to consider what is going on with the  economy, you can’t overprice your product. Also being aware of your competition and target market is important,” said Rochford.

For more information on Desert Cruiser boards, they can be contacted on instagram @desertcrusierboards, or at desertcruiserboards.com.