The CS Press

Policies at Cactus Shadows

Sarah Hardin, Staff Writer

As a result of recent school shootings, the district intensified school policies by checking IDs at the front gates and locking doors and gates to increase safety.

Certain practices, such as locking or monitoring doors and gates, are intended to limit or control access to school campuses, while others, such as the use of metal detectors and security cameras, are intended to monitor or restrict students’ and visitors’ behavior on campus, according to National Center for Education Statistics. Simple procedures such as fire drills and lock down drills ensure safety. Teachers and administrators ensure that students are secure in a safe place.

Students at school believe that drills every month are meaningless and are unnecessary if they repeat the same procedure every month. Many students do not take lock down drills seriously, but it would improve school safety if lock down drills are taken realistically.

Following school policies helps ensure students are safe on campus. Students who refuse to respect school policies end up with a punishment. School policies are for school safety and the safety of the students.

Administration watches students entering campus,  to ensure student IDs were worn around their neck or attached to their clothes.  

Many of these policies are just intended for safety and security of the campus. Students should just follow school policies to ensure their safety and to fix the insecurities that the society has experienced within 2018.