The CS Press

• Uprooted, the 2018 literary magazine, will be available on Tuesday at Janey's from 4 to 7 p.m.

• The 2018 Yearbook is here. Pick yours up today.

• Graduation is this Thursday at Grand Canyon University.

Effective Marches

CreativeCommons

CreativeCommons

Julia Knies, Opinion Editor

After the shooting in Florida, the students have been taking control to try to lock down gun control laws and increasing safety in schools by organizing marches. Protests are effective when executed properly and not violently.

The students involved in the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School have been taking matters into their own hands by planning the March For Our Lives. Students, teachers, and allies are going to march in Washington, D.C. and major cities across the country on March 24. They are bringing awareness to and protesting for better gun control laws and school safety. It is important that they are doing this because it is making the government and other oblivious people aware of how many people are affected by what happened and is happening.

Throughout history, there have been many effective protests but also many ineffective ones. Some of the most effective protests in the United States include the March on Washington for jobs and freedom in 1963, the Anti-Nuclear Weapon March in New York City in 1982, and the March on Washington for lesbian and gay rights in 1987. The amount of people in those three protests range from 200,000 to a million people. Effectiveness does not always equal an enormous amount of people.

Violence is not a quality of beneficial protests. Most effective protests make the message as noticeable and important as possible without being very disruptive or aggressive. If protests are disruptive, then the mass amount of supporters can decrease. As shown by the previous marches mentioned, large amounts of support isn’t everything, but it definitely helps get the message across better.

There are people who think protesting does not accomplish anything. While there are many marches that do not do anything large, over time, protests to change things or at least bring attention to them. The effects do not have to be immediate but just recognize what is happening and what is wrong.

While not all protests are completely effective, all bring attention to problems going on to show people care. People do and will continue to stand up for things they believe in, and there is not much wrong with that as long as it is not violent and for a good cause. Support the people who are taking hands on action with things they want to change and now just waiting around for other people to do something about it.