The CS Press

• Uprooted, the 2018 literary magazine, will be available on Tuesday at Janey's from 4 to 7 p.m.

• Picture day is on Thursday, August 30.

• Open House is on Monday, August 20th..

The Restrooms are Not the Best-Rooms

Julia Knies, Opinion Editor

The bathrooms at Cactus Shadows are not in the best shape, and there needs to be something done about it.

Being one of the most visited-and most plentiful- places on campus, they are an essential part of student life. Humans need to use the bathroom about six to seven times per day on average. Since students are at school for seven hours per day, the restrooms are something that need to be in good condition and working. Students use the restrooms for anything from actually using the restroom to fixing their hair or outfit.

Many of the restrooms at Cactus Shadows are not in very good condition. Lots have missing locks and are unable to use unless someone is holding the door shut for the user. Other restrooms do not have very functional sinks. For example, the sinks in the Girls Locker Room are constantly leaking- wasting a lot of water and creating a mess.

A leaking faucet can waste about five gallons of water per day. Over a year, that adds up to be quite a bit of water- almost two thousand gallons. Overall, it is not a lot, but it is a lot just as waste. Water is not an infinite supply, and there are many more important things that we can use it for rather than a leaking faucet. Many faucets leak, but Cactus Shadows should not be contributing to that number.

The administrators at Cactus Shadows have mentioned before that there is not enough money in the maintenance budget to replace anything in the bathrooms, but at this point there has to be something done about them. Some repairs can be made easily as they are simple, like adding proper locks to the doors without them. Students should not have to hold bathroom doors closed or have to step over puddles of sitting water. In the future, the budget for maintenance should be larger.

If the restrooms are repaired, students will be able to get in and out of the bathrooms faster and not have to wait as long since more sinks and bathrooms would be usable. A fix for them is necessary, even though the budget may not fit a complete upgrade, minor fixes would benefit greatly.