The Voice of Cactus Shadows High School

The CS Press

The Heat is On

Students debate whether global warming is fact or fiction.

Megan Walker, Staff Writer

Global warming is an extreme threat to the planet, and too many people are ignoring the problem. The planet is heating up at a drastic rate, due to the amount of carbon dioxide produced by humans. Under the Obama administration, the EPA created many policies to help deal with this issue, and now, the current administration is rolling back all of them. This will have dire consequences to our planet.

Since 1950, the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has risen far past its average amount. This gas causes heat to get trapped, causing the Earth to heat up at an alarming rate.

Many things made and used by humans release carbon dioxide, like cars, hairdryers, light bulbs, and air conditioners. As time goes on, the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere increases which leads to more heat getting caught warming Earth’s surface.

An example is ice on earth, the constant heat is melting the ice, causing sea levels to rise and hurt the tundra habitat for all of the living things that reside there since their habitat is heating up.

Also, not only the coldest environments on Earth are hurt by the increasing heat, every habitat on this planet is changed because of the temperature change.

The change in Earth’s ecosystems and temperatures are already taking effect. Natural disasters such as hurricanes, tornadoes, and cyclones have been happening more frequently because wind speeds have changed, become more powerful, since 1981, and fluctuating temperatures are adding to the severity of the storms.

According to Nature.com, by 2050 rising temperatures could lead to the extinction of more than a million species. This includes the destruction of coral reefs and coral populations. Along with a rise in water temperatures in the ocean, sea level will rise as the ice caps melt to add water to the sea.

According to NASA.com, global warming creates violent swings between floods and droughts, and this creates problems for water. There can be shortages of water that lead to crop failure and damage to ecosystems.

Trees and other plants change carbon dioxide into oxygen, but deforestation and chemicals put in crops have demolished the species, which is another reason why the carbon dioxide level is increasing.  

People who deny climate change think that global warming is a natural process, and that the earth will, on its own, take care of itself. They argue that scientists are over-reacting, and that evidence shows that a lot of things people have worried about, like Arctic ice disappearing and temperatures going up, have not proved true.

However, there is no denying that the quantity of harmful gases trapped in Earth’s atmosphere increased with new inventions for human convenience, which proves that global warming is being affected by humans.

Serious action is needed to halt global warming. Unfortunately, the government is changing a lot of the requirements so that businesses can continue to pollute and make more carbon dioxide without suffering financial or legal consequences.

There are things we can do to minimize our carbon footprint, such as ride a bike to school, work, or on errands, let your hair air dry instead of using a dryer, or even turn off the lights when you leave your room. You can plant trees, recycle, and stop using plastic. Do your part to save our planet and make sure to keep informed.