The Voice of Cactus Shadows High School

The CS Press

No Need to Get Heated

Emma Russello, Staff Writer

The issue of global warming and climate change is always a high-attention topic with politicians and the media. Some say it’s a pressing topic that needs to be dealt with right away, and others say it is just completely a hoax. Climate change is a natural occurring process that humans can have almost little to no control over.

The believers of global warming state that by burning fossil fuels, the rise in CO2 levels will contribute to the warming of the Earth. According to a 2011 study published in the Asia-Pacific Journal of Atmospheric Science, about 50 percent of the CO2 released by the burning of fossil fuels and other human activities has already been re-absorbed by the earth’s carbon sinks. Also, according to a report but the Heartland Institute in 2013, the Earth “has not warmed significantly for the past 16 years despite an eight percent increase in atmospheric CO2. The Earth fixes itself.

The rising of sea levels also worries global warming believers, but in fact, when the earth began coming out of the Pleistocene Ice Age 18,000 years ago, sea levels were about 400 feet lower than they are today and have been steadily rising ever since, according to a 2014 report by the Global Warming Policy Foundation. There is no possible way humans could have contributed to that.

As for the actual warming of the planet, most graphs, charts and data that showed the Earth is rapidly warming were false. In 1990, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change predicted “that if emissions rose in a “business as usual” way, which they have done, then global average temperature would rise at the rate of about 0.3 degree Celsius per decade. In the 27 years since, temperature has risen at about 0.1 to 0.2 degree C per decade.”

There are other universities and scientists who have also disproven much of the previous data on the warming of the Earth. A 2003 study by researchers at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics found that “many records reveal that the 20th century is probably not the warmest nor a uniquely extreme climatic period of the last millennium.”

The work that the left government has done to prevent this “global warming” has been proven to hurt the economy as well as the Earth and nature itself.

“The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations and other bodies agree that the rush to grow biofuels, justified as a decarbonization measure, has raised food prices and contributed to rainforest destruction,” according to scientificamerican.com.

Not everyone is a scientist, so it may be hard to tell what is really a fact, or just false data. The other side claims that 95% of scientists believe global warming is a problem, but that data is just based on polls. Many times before the so-called “experts” have been proven to be wrong, and this is just another one of those cases.

The planet Earth is 4.543 billion years old, and human civilizations have only been around for the past 10,000 years. Earth is a growing, changing, amazing planet that almost has a mind of its own. Humans can do very little to change that.