The Voice of Cactus Shadows High School

The CS Press

Move it or Lose it

Emma Russello, Staff Writer

The average walking speed for younger people is 4.95 feet per second. So, when walking through the campus, I often wonder why some students walk slower than a tortoise.

Not all of the slower-paced people just plain out walk slow, some are too busy turned around screaming to their friends about what drink they should get at Dutch Bros after school, to realize that people are trying walk. Others just simply walk like they were old enough to witness WW1.

It is understandable that sometimes the people that are obstructing the pathway do not even know they are doing it. If you have a friend that is known to do this, let them know. The first step is to admit that you have a problem.

The biggest trend that I see throughout the campus is walking in groups. If there is one, just one slow-poke, the whole group turns into slow-moving zombies. It is almost like the saying, “if your friend jumps off a cliff then you will too” but instead, “if your friend walks like she is a sloth from the movie Zootopia, then you will too”. Then, when the group stops and obstructs the entire pathway, it creates a whole other issue.

The pace of walking varies throughout different regions of the country, and it seems that in the great state of Arizona, people just move at a slow pace. What some Arizonans do not seem to understand is that if they go to New York City or another fast-paced region, they might get trampled, pushed, flat-tired, and maybe scoffed at. Understanding that Cave Creek does not even remotely resemble New York City, there is some slack to be cut.

The school seems to be in its own bubble, where general spacial awareness rules do not apply. Instead the rules seem to be:

1. Walk straight into oncoming pedestrian traffic.
  2. Make out with your significant other in the middle of the quad. Make sure to make uncomfortable eye contact with at least 3 other people.
  3. Cut people off whenever you see the opportunity.

Another issue that seems to be popping up throughout the school is no one knowing how to stand in a line. Some people are just trying to get their daily turkey and bacon sandwich, without having to feel like they are babysitting a bunch of kindergarteners, and being cut in front of every two seconds

A certain pet peeve of a lot of people is when someone does not know what is an appropriate distance when talking to you. I’m happy to hear about last night’s concert, but I don’t need to know what you ate for breakfast because your mouth is in my face!

To wrap it all up, just know that everyone is human and yes, some people make mistakes. But this is not second grade, and we should all know not to run across the campus screaming and banging on the vending machines.