The CS Press

State fair is back

Mia Brito, Staff Writer

The annual Arizona state fair is back and open for business. This year’s fair has over 68 rides ranging from roller coasters to slides and mazes, and includes live music, a petting zoo, and classic fair food.

Jennifer Espinel, a fair attendee, compared the Arizona State Fair to the New Jersey State Fair.

“It’s definitely much bigger than back east,” said Espinel.

There is entertainment for everyone, including ethnic dances such as Pualoto Polynesian dancers and Native spirit shows. Native spirit is a group of dancers from across the United States who perform to demonstrate the native cultures and ethnic dances.

In addition, there are magic and comedy shows, as well as overly enthusiastic carnival workers offering deals to all kinds of games. For instance, games like toss the ring on the bottle, basketball smackdowns, and water gun shooting races.

“The fair got a lot bigger, there are way more rides and way more people going this year,” said Michael Nicholls, a junior. Nicholls attends the fair each year.

The state fair has a large variety of food vendors selling a diverse selection of deep fried food, hot dogs, hamburgers, cotton candy, slushies, and ice cream. Food vendors are open until 9 p.m. on weeknights and 10 p.m. on weekends.

Espinel, who moved to Arizona from New York in 2006, found differences between New York and Arizona fairs.

“The deep fried oreos are no contest. Back east makes them best, but the rides are more fun here,” said Espinel.

A popular ride is the La Grande Wheel, one of the largest transferable ferris wheel in the world. Measuring 130 feet in height, the ferris wheel is a favorite with fair goers.

Music lovers will not be disappointed by this year’s performances, which include Pitbull and The Wallflowers. The website recommends purchasing tickets in advance, or include the price in the fair admission.

“When you walk in, there’s all this great food you can smell. I always go at night so I can see all the lights from the rides and you can hear the music around the park,” said Devon Molina, a senior.

The Arizona state fair is a great family event or even a date spot for a festive occasion. They offer tickets online as well as unlimited ride passes on specific days. Check azstatefair.com for more info on rides and ticket pricing.  Open from October 5th to the 28th operating hours include: Wednesday and Thursday from noon to 9 p.m.; Friday from noon to 11 p.m.; Saturday from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.; and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.