The CS Press

As the weather cools off, politicians heat up for fall elections

Kassidy Wheeler, Editor in Chief

Voting for the midterms will end on November 6, and the outcome will determine the political path of the United States until 2020. Every one of the 435 seats in the United States House of Representatives will be contested, while 35 out of 100 seats in the senate will be at stake. Locally, there are two CCUSD elections on the ballot: two governing board positions will be filled, and the CTED option, asking voters to approve a partnership between the district and EVIT to provide more CTE classes for students.

IB students hosted a  Governing Board Forum on October 11 in the Lecture Hall. The event was intended to give voters a chance to get to know the three candidates on the ballot — Scott Brown, Beth Hatcher, and Mike Smith —  before voting.

During the event, the candidates answered questions about what direction the school district would go in if they were elected. The seats up for grab are currently held by Cynthia Weiss and Mark Warren, who are not running for re-election. Candidates were questioned on how they would handle teacher retention, school funding, and career technology education for students.

Scott Brown had children who attended Cave Creek Schools and is involved in Site Council and the CSHS Alumni group. Beth Hatcher retired last year from teaching at Desert Willow, and also had children who attended schools here. Mike Scott has served on school boards previously, and also worked on the budget at the State level.

The midterms will not only determine who gets put into office, but propositions will also be decided on, including the option for CCUSD to join the East Valley Institute of Technology (EVIT).

“The vote would bring EVIT to our actual campus, and what that would give us is it would free up more money in our  funding. We’d be able to hire more teachers, which means we could reduce class sizes, and it would be a great opportunity for students to get experience with computer science, med-tech, or basic engineering,” said Karson Shipp, a history teacher.

This organization will provide career and technical education specific to certain job skills. It will also turn areas of the former Desert Arroyo Middle School into an area where juniors and seniors will be able to participate in the program.

“For taxpayers, I think it’s a nickel for every $100 of their homes value, and I believe the average home price in Cave Creek is near $550,000, so it’ll be about $25 to $35 extra in taxes,” said Shipp.

If approved, a “nickel tax” would be assessed per $100 of secondary assessed valuation, this means that a home with a value of $100,000 would see a tax increase of $5 dollars per year if the proposition passes. According to the Carefree Cave Creek Chamber of Commerce, The average price for a home in Cave Creek is $555,750, meaning they would pay $27.79 extra in taxes per year.

In addition to local elections, nationally, Democrats currently hold 49 senate seats, but they might be able to win Republican held seats in Arizona and Nevada. However, election outlook shows it seems likely that Democrats might lose 10 seats they hold in states that President Trump carried in the 2016 election.

“If the Democrats are able to flip the senate they will have more control, and I think that’s why they tried to delay the Kavanaugh  hearings, because the Democrats want more control over things,” said Evan Ziker, a senior.

Both of Arizona’s senate seats are up for contest, and according to the Morning Consult, President Trump has a -3 net approval rating in the month of September in the state of Arizona. This is significant because that means that little over half of voters in the state disagree with the current administration. This means there may be more votes for Democrats running for the senate in November. The three possibilities to have the vote are Angela Green, a Green Party Member, Kyrsten Sinema, the Democratic candidate, and Martha McSally, the Republican candidate. In the Nevada race, the candidates include Libertarian Tim Hagan, Republican Dean Heller, and Democrat Jacky Rosen. Nevada currently has a -7 net approval rating of the current administration in the month of September.

Directly affecting Cave Creek voters in District 6, the race for the United States House of Representatives is between Republican David Schweikert and Democrat Anita Malik.

Schweikert is pro-life and will fight for the rights of the unborn, a life long member of the National Rifle Association who supports the 2nd amendment, and promises to secure the Arizona border by not supporting amnesty. Malik believes in a moral responsibility to provide quality, low-cost health care for every American, swift path to citizenship for dreamers to diversify talent in the country, and will work to end loopholes at gun shows for third party sellers.

“Having a paid day off to make sure people go vote is important because, most people aren’t really incentivized to go vote and you have to make sure your voice is heard by casting your ballot,” said Brandon Holmes, a senior.

Voting is necessary to elect leaders and ensure the future of the United States. Voting matters, and making sure to actually go out and vote is the most important part of the process. Making sure voters have enough time to cast their ballot has been problematic in the past, especially for those who work long hours.