The CS Press

• Uprooted, the 2018 literary magazine, will be available on Tuesday at Janey's from 4 to 7 p.m.

• Picture day is on Thursday, August 30.

• Open House is on Monday, August 20th..

Trump not likely to ban violent video games

Frida Alvarado, Online News Editor

President Donald Trump met with video games representatives to discuss how the violent content is affecting young people’s minds.

A month after the Florida shooting, which killed 17 kids, the president has made various comments on video games and media and how they are affecting kids minds.

“I’m not violent and I play video games all the time and I know other people who aren’t violent and play violent video games,” said Bella Gabriel, freshman

This brought up the debate over whether violent video games can lead to violent behavior. President Trump has discussed this in the past.Three days after the Sandy Hook shooting, Trump ranted on twitter tweeting, “video game violence and glorification must be stopped-it’s creating monsters.”

March 7 was Trump’s latest gun violence hearing that included several other executives. The meeting included congress members, conservative media watchdog, Brent Bozell, and a mom from the Parents Television council. Robert Altman, the CEO of Zenimax, the company responsible for games such as Fallout, Strauss Zelnick, the chief executive of Take Two Interactive, which is known for Grand Theft Auto, and Michael Gallagher, the leader of the Entertainment Software Association, a Washington-focused lobbying organization for the industry also met at the white house.

“This is violent, isn’t it,” said Trump, showing video clips of graphic video games at the beginning of the meeting. He then introduced a proposal for new restrictions on video game sales to young people. They then continued to discuss the multiple studies that have been conducted to see if there has been a relation between violent video games and violent behavior, which established that there is no connection between the two.

“I feel like to a certain extent and depending on your age, but I also feel like that it has to do with their brain and mental illness,” said Cheyenne Yurk, freshman.

“First Amendment protection of video games, and how our industry’s rating system effectively helps parents make informed entertainment choices,” said Michael Gallagher, the leader of the Entertainment Software Association

The National Rifle Association has blamed video games as a major factor in mass shootings. After the Sandy Hook massacre of 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School, multple NRA representatives voice their stance on the tragedy.

“Guns don’t kill people. Video games, the media and Obama’s budget kill people,”said Wayne LaPierre, NRA leader.

The video game industry has defended that there has been no evidence behind that statement.

“If there was actually a correlation between gun violence and video games then everywhere where violent video games are released you would find a similar level of gun violence, or at least a correlation,” said Lewis Ward, research director of gaming at International Data

Even with video games being a common topic brought up in the oval office, industry experts are not worried about any restrictions yet.

“Congress doesn’t have the will to try and regulate games,” said Michael Pachter, managing director of equity research covering video games for Wedbush Securities, arguing that the First Amendment provides more absolute protections against regulation than the Second Amendment. “I just don’t think anything comes of it.”